Friday, January 19, 2018

dreams of dream building

Recently came across a posting from 2014 that described a dream that felt beyond cool.  A large wealthy family - four generations, from new born to 90+ - were gathering in a swank NYC hotel for a weekend of...  I wasn't sure what.  In the dream, I was pretty darn certain they'd confused me with someone else, because I certainly was not the sort of entertaining, mega interesting person with which they typically chose to rub shoulders. 

Events were planned for all ages, from itty bitties to ancients.  And they all focused on dream building - what is your dream?  How can we, individually & as a group, help you catch it? 

To my surprise, everywhere I turned there was a smiling face, happy to see me, happy that I was in that place, at that moment.  The hotel staff seemed blissed out - they'd played host to this annual gathering many times before & loved it, loved how it affected the staff for weeks after the last guest had said their grateful farewell.

My sense of not belonging evaporated, as it became clear from everyone I met - especially the youngest - that I'd been included because they experienced my energies as supporting the weekend's dream building mission.  I wasn't part of the family, but understood & shared a passion for collaborative dream building, whether a small project conjured up by an 8-year old or a massive construction project blueprinted by the patriarch for the grandchildren generation to make so.  Dozens of ideas, an abundance of support. 

A total fiction, but in my heart... In my heart, it will always BE.  The sense of that place, that moment, those energies, from toddlers to a close-to-centarian, all focused on "What your dream?  How can I make it real?

So - what IS my dream?  How can I make it real?  Dream building only happens when an effort is made.  Doesn't need to be big, just effective & consistent.  Like the story Mom loved to tell about a man who built a boat he sailed on the Chesapeake.  Friends marveled at how a busy man found the time to build a beautifully designed, water-tight boat.  His answer was simple, direct - "When I had an extra moment, I'd hit a nail."

Since writing that post, I've made a number of dreams come true following that advice - when I get a minute, I take a step.  Got there through taking a lot of little steps & a few biggies.   The biggest & boldest stretch within reach.  Swing away.

No comments:

Post a Comment