Friday, March 9, 2018

"It's Complicated" to "It's Promising!"

Ah, my relationship with money.  Our family always had a whack-a-doodle back & forth with cold hard cash.   My parents were typical of their generation - - never talked about finances, how to save money, how to increase the money we earned.  They never expected us kids to help pay for our clothing or other non-basic purchases.  Mike was the only one who - once he joined the Navy right after graduation - paid his own way 100%.  Peter seemed to always be asking Dad if he could spare a few (or a lot) bucks.  And Mim, who never seemed to make what most people would consider a decent living wage, spun money out of thin air, attending a 6-week theater workshop in Greenwich Village, attended classes at Penn & three out-of-state colleges, getting her Bachelors from NYU & her MSW from Rutgets.  Yes, my relationship with money was VERY complicated!

Enter Jen Sincero, to set me straight.  Thanks to Jen, money & I have come to a better understanding of each other,  a new appreciation.  Money is frustrated when I don't put it to better use - it's felt underappreciated & disrespected.  "I'm energy, waiting to be put to good use, but she treats me like I'm just so much filthy lucre."  

What can I say.  That's true.  I haven't assigned money the value it deserves.  It's not that I take it for granted, but that I never thought it would give ME a second look.  A snug & secure bank account - that was meant for others.  My head told me that I am meant for financial abundance, my heart embraced the thought of prosperity, but my gut countered with, "Money's just not into you."  And, afraid of trying & being rejected, I disregarded head & heart, went with my gut.  

Took Jen to bring us together, to see the mutually supportive relationship that was always meant to be.  Money was always eager to partner with me;  I was the one who blew it off, who thought I wasn't good enough for it.  

It's still hard.  Part of me still can't fully accept that money is there for me, ready to provide the support I need, to invest in a relationship that brings out the best in both of us & lets us grow & prosper.  My head hears it, my heart accepts, but that pesky gut.  

Relationships aren't easy.  I know that money wants only the best for me, wants to see me feel empowered, wants to help me accomplish all that is possible for me to do.  Money is there for me, now I have to be here for myself.  We've gotten past "it's complicated" to "it's promising" - - time to go for "in a relationship"!


Deev & Money 
4 Evah!






















No comments:

Post a Comment